New Features in SQL Server 2011 or Code Named “DENALI” CTP1
June 18, 2011
Posted by on
Microsoft SQL Server Code-Named “Denali”, this release increases the power and productivity of architects, developers, and administrators who design, develop, and maintain data storage systems. Several components have new or improved features. The major enhanced features in this CTP release are applied to the following components. Might Change more or less in actual release as it is only the preview release CTP1.
- SQL Server Installation
- Database Engine
- Integration Services
We will see what features are enhanced in each component?
1. SQL Server Code-Named “Denali” introduces these changes to SQL Server Setup:
- SQL Server Multi-Subnet Clustering: Starting with SQL Server Code-Named “Denali”, you can now configure a SQL Server failover cluster using clustered nodes on different subnets. For more information, see SQL Server Multi-Subnet Failover Clustering.
- Prerequisite Installation during SQL Server Setup: Power Shell 2.0, NET 3.5 SP1, and the no-reboot package for .NET 4.0 are required for this pre-release version but are not installed by SQL Server Setup. You must download them and install them before you start SQL Server Setup.
- Windows PowerShell: Starting with SQL Server Code-Named “Denali”, Windows PowerShell is no longer installed by SQL Server Setup. Windows PowerShell 2.0 is a pre-requisite for installing SQL Server Code-Named “Denali”.
- .NET Framework: .NET Framework 4.0 is a pre-requisite for installing SQL Server Code-Named “Denali”. .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is no longer installed by SQL Server Setup, but may be required while installing SQL Server on Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008
- No-Reboot package for .NET Framework 4.0: The no-reboot package is a prerequisite for installing SQL Server Code-Named “Denali”, and is included in Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 SP1. If the no-reboot package is not installed on your computer, you can download it from one of the following links: Microsoft Update for .NET Framework 4.0 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Itanium Support: Starting with SQL Server Code-Named “Denali”, SQL Server Itanium editions are no longer supported
2. These are the areas in which the Database Engine has been enhanced.
- High Availability Enhancements (HADR)
- This release of SQL Server introduces several new features and improvements to replication.
- High rich enhancements to Service broker
- Manageability Enhancements (SSMS)
- Programmability Enhancements (Development)
- Scalability and Performance Enhancements
- Security Enhancements (Deprecated and Introduced Security)
For more information please follow link: Database Engine Enhancements
3. Microsoft Integration Services introduces new features and enhancements that increase the power and productivity of developers, administrators, and knowledge workers who develop data transformation solutions.
- Deployment and Administration Enhancements
- Object Impact and Data Lineage Analysis
- Usability Enhancements
- Reduced Memory Usage by the Merge and Merge Join Transformation
- New Data Correction Component
For more information please follow link: Integration Services Enhancements\
4. This CTP1 release of code named “DENALI” has no new features or enhancements introduced to Analysis Services and Reporting Services, everything same as SQL Server 2008 R2.
Do you want download and install to see What’s New in SQL Server “DENALI” DOWNLOAD CTP1